The Three Most Memorable Days
Dog lovers say that there are three days in the life of your pet that you'll always remember. The first day is the day that you first laid your eyes upon her and knew that she was meant to be a part of your family. The second day is the day that you first noticed her silvering hair and her slower step, and suddenly you realized that you wouldn't have her for ever. The third day is the day that you stroked her muzzle and whispered good-bye, having made the heart-breaking decision to let her go. I am saddened and grateful that I had all three of these days with my dog, Juanita.
On the day that Juanita and I first met, I hadn't intended to bring home a new puppy. I had intended to bring home some new shoes. As I passed the pet store window, I saw Juanita, lazily napping while the busyness of the mall moved around her. Her fox-like ears twitched as she dreamt of the family that would one day be her own. The moment I saw her, I was in love. I'll just hold her for a moment, I thought, cupping her tiny body in the palm of my hand and taking in the sweet smell of her puppy breath. That moment became a dog's lifetime, because I never put her back down. Juanita was mine from that moment on.
Days turned to months, and months turned to years when suddenly I realized that my easy-going, sweet-spirited girl only resembled the puppy she'd once been. Juanita had traded in her favorite game of chase for a quiet, warm spot in the sun. She could no longer jump up onto my lap, and instead sat at my feet pleading with her eyes for help up. Her soft tan fur had been replaced by course white hair and the lump on her belly was growing bigger. This was the day that I knew that she'd be mine for only a little while longer.
On my last day with Juanita, I wasn't sure that I could make the decision to let her go. I sat watching her. Maybe tomorrow she would be better. She staggered up from her blanket, looking at me with tired, pained eyes. In that moment, I knew that tomorrow wouldn't be better. I knew that she'd be worse. I scooped her up in her blanket, and quietly drove across town to the vet. My stomache felt sick, and I wanted to turn back, but I didn't. I wiped heavy tears from my eyes and drove on, trying not to think about the next half hour. Juanita and I were ushered to a dimly lit room, where the hum of the heater matched her labored breath. I kissed her nose and thanked her for the thirteen years of memories that she'd given me. I said good-bye and I peacefully let her go, knowing that her memory would always be mine.
"Don't cry because it's over, smile that it happened."
Dr. Suess

Amanda,
ReplyDeleteUgh! Sushi can't jump onto my bed anymore or into my car so I am really dreading the days ahead.
I loved how you set us up with the 3 days and then each paragraph was about those days. Thanks for including a photo too because I could visualize her from your day 1 paragraph but this helps more.
One idea is in your second paragraph you have in italics your thoughts...I'll just hold her. I think you already have your thoughts in the other paragraphs but you could put them in italics. And if you don't have a thought sentence add one or two. Otherwise I think it is great and do not have any suggestions. It is heart wrenching and wonderful.
Okay so I'm crying! I agree with Deanna I like how you explain in the first paragraph what the next three will be about. At a lost for suggestions. Nice writing!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the feedback, Deanna! I am excited to go back into my writing to see how I might apply this advise. This is an important piece of writing to me, so I am eager to make it the best that it can be.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Tara! :)
I cried when I read this because, like Deanna, I am dreading the 2 days ahead! (My dog is only 2 years old, but I still dread them). One suggestion I have is in the 2nd paragraph. I think you reveal that you hadn't intended to bring home a new puppy too early. You may want to add it before your thought of just holding her for a moment. Something like, "I hadn't intended to bring home a puppy that day, but I thought, "I'll just hold her for a moment."
ReplyDeleteI cried when I read this because, like Deanna, I am dreading the 2 days ahead! (My dog is only 2 years old, but I still dread them). One suggestion I have is in the 2nd paragraph. I think you reveal that you hadn't intended to bring home a new puppy too early. You may want to add it before your thought of just holding her for a moment. Something like, "I hadn't intended to bring home a puppy that day, but I thought, "I'll just hold her for a moment."
ReplyDeleteOh man this made me tear up. And I'm not one to cry. But you wrote so beautifully about Juanita. My first dog is 12 and although he is healthy for his age, I see that the moments with him are becoming limited.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing something so personal to you.
Oh man this made me tear up. And I'm not one to cry. But you wrote so beautifully about Juanita. My first dog is 12 and although he is healthy for his age, I see that the moments with him are becoming limited.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing something so personal to you.