As a kid, I loved to write! I wrote reports, crafted my own fashion magazines, entered poems for consideration to Highlights Magazine, kept pen pals from around the U.S., and even wrote music for my clarinet. Writing was a powerful creative outlet that allowed me to express myself in many different ways. I saw myself as a writer and was inspired enough to believe that what I wrote mattered in the world. This is exactly what I want for my second grade students.
With these positive childhood writing experiences, one would imagine that my own writing instruction would inspire similar experiences in my students. I wish and hope that my teaching inspires students to believe that what they write matters. However, a wish and a hope won't get my students there. It's time for me to put my own understanding of the writing process front and center. It's time for me to grow. I know that something is missing in my practice, and now is the time to dig in and help my students (and myself) discover themselves as writers.
This is going to be A LOT of work, but I am excited and ready to learn. Here we go!
Even as a kid, I loved being a teacher! I'm "reading" to my little sister, Monica back in 1980. She was the perfect student! :)

Amanda, I loved reading your writing throughout this semester. Your dedication to your students is amazing and they are so lucky to have you. Thank for for all your thoughtful comments.
ReplyDelete